The Biblical city of Akko (Acre) is located east to the old city, and located on a large Tel (Mound, Heap) east of the old city, on the north bank of the Na'aman (Belus) river. The city originated in the Bronze period, and was abandoned in the late Hellenistic period, when the new city moved closer to the sea.
The hill was reused in later periods for brief times, such as being a base for the sieges of the Crusaders (1099) and Napoleon's Army (1799).Today, the site is in ruins. The neighborhoods of the modern city of Akko are located to the east and north of the Tel. On the western foothills is the city's soccer field.