Vici.org

Summary

St. Mary Church

Class:

  • Temple or sanctuary
  • visible
  • Location ± 0-5 m.
(see also PELAGIOS)

Identifiers:

Nearby

Church of Sts. Constantine and Helen in Yabroud

Early Christian church originally an Aramaic pagan temple dedicated to the sun god Baalshamin circa the first millennium BC.

Casama

OmnesViae import TPPlace522

Yabroud III, Syria

The Natufian archeological site Yabroud III is named after the town of Yabroud. Yabrud- Syria

Images

Surroundings (Panoramio)

Annotation

n.b. There are two entries on vici.org, this one and another, both referring to the same site.  There are also two churches in the village, one dedicated to the Virgin Mary (Notre-Dame), built over a proto-Byzantine church, and the other, a Melchite cathedral, to Sts. Constantine and Helen. It is the latter which contains remains of a Roman era temple. There is a dedicatory inscription to "Jupiter Malechiabrudenus"1 and a door and wall made of temple blocks2. It is not clear whether the church tagged here is the first or the second.

References

  1. Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum (CIL) 6, 36792. Berlin from 1863
  2. Aliquot, Julien. “Antiliban est”. La Vie religieuse au Liban sous l'Empire romain. By Aliquot. Beyrouth : Presses de l’Ifpo, 2009. (p. 311).